After the sudden and unexpected passing of their father, two brothers immediately started receiving unsolicited offers, and calls from local apartment brokers active in the markets surrounding their family’s properties. They were surprised and even amazed at the values being proposed as they were much higher than anything they or their father had ever thought the properties were worth. Once they had a conversation going and had submitted the offers, the various local brokers attempted to gain control of the process through a false sense of urgency, and with little regard for their personal situation.
The Other Broker’s Value Proposition:
- I sell the most deals in your neighborhood.
- Trust me, take this offer, just cut to the chase and save time.
- This is one of the most active buyers in your area.
- This buyer is totally overpaying; take the offer before they change their mind.
- If you don’t take the deal you will be forced to list, waste time and probably sell for less money.
Unaccustomed to dealing with aggressive brokers, and with the nuances of the West Los Angeles apartment market, the beneficiaries were apprehensive and unsure of what the best course of action was.